Sunday, May 8, 2011

Toto We Are Not in the Bronx Anymore...


Yesterday my friend and I embarked on our apartment hunt for post graduation. Emerging from the subway on the Upper East Side, I felt like I was Dorothy emerging from the tornado in The Wizard of Oz. Of course I have been to Manhattan before, in fact I'm there at least three times a week for my job. But emerging from a subway stop with the mindset that one day, I might live there was pretty different. You see a place with different eyes.

“Someday I might walk past these restaurants every day.” 

“Someday that might be my grocery store.” 

“Someday this could be my post office.”

Plus, there were no men yelling about selling gold and diamonds as there are at my familiar D train stop and there was definitely no loud salsa music playing.

We had a great afternoon exploring the neighborhood, taking in the local fare and people watching, but when we returned to the Bronx via 4 train and made our way down Fordham Road I couldn’t help but feel a twang of  strange satisfaction and pleasure. I’ve talked about how walking down Fordham Road is a battle and it’s usually an annoying battle but I’m going to miss that battle. Arriving home and throwing myself on the couch I realized that I’ll never feel that weird sense of accomplishment that comes with battling one’s way home. I’m sure it will not be hard to get used to the wonderful scents of Shake Shack and beautiful windows of local boutiques, but I have to admit I’ll kind of miss the battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment