Sunday, March 6, 2011

D Train: Delight or Disaster?

Ahhh the D train. Voted one of the city's worst subways, riding the D train is definitely always an experience. I have the pleasure of taking the D three times a week to and from my job in the West Village. Despite careful planning on my part, I can never seem to time my trips perfectly and always end up waiting in the station for far longer than anyone should ever wait for anything. While Fordham Road's B & D station is disgusting, and the trains themselves often reek of mysterious foul odors, I must admit that I sometimes find myself enjoying my D train experience. Here's why:

-Maybe it's creepy and maybe it's even a little weird, but I enjoy watching people. There is almost no better place to observe humankind than the D train. Whether the cars are packed with professionals traveling to work during rush hour or mothers and babies running errands, the D train is always full of interesting people and even more interesting situations. Anyone who has ridden the D at least once is bound to have observed some entertaining, disturbing or creepy situations. Singing homeless people? Check. Hilariously vulgar preteens? Check. Entertaining train conductors? Check.

- There's no need to travel to Broadway or the ballet for talented performances from some of the city's best entertainers. I once watched 9-year-old twins break dance better than anyone else I have ever seen as the D sped between 59th St and 125 St. I'm treated to an authentic Mariachi band almost every morning on my way to work. One time a lone guitar player followed my friends and I from 145th all the way down to the West Village, serenading us with songs he made up about us (okay that one was pretty creepy). New York Magazine just did an article on the city's best subway performers and while none of my favorites made the cut, I'll definitely have my eyes open for some of these underground musicians.

-While the commute can sometimes be a hassle and I hate having to wake up at least two hours before I have to be at work, I do value the forced relaxation that occurs when I am constricted to an underground pod for at least an hour and a half each day. Unlike people who drive to work, subway commuters, especially some D train commuters who are often traveling on the subway for at least 45 minutes each way, the trip allows us to read, listen to music, get work done, or just veg out.  I complain all the time about my long commute, but I have to admit that the mandatory relaxation helps me start my day with a clear head.


While the D has its perks, we can't forget the screaming babies, foul odors, frequent delays, close quarters and annoying Yankees fans that often make the trip a living hell. But these are the things I try not to think about as I battle my way up Fordham Rd every morning.

2 comments:

  1. It seems we have a very similar D train ride haha. I agree, the D train has its perks that make it lovable, and I definitely get the people watching. My boyfriend has caught me many times not paying attention to the conversation because I'm watching little kids crawl around the seats or listening to teenager girls talk about their boy issues.

    I personally love the Asian man who sells DVDs around 125th street. He shakes that little rattle, and everyone knows what is going on. The worst part of the D train is during the summer when ignorant Yankee fans who've never been on a subway ride up to Yankee stadium. My hatred for them has nothing to do with the fact that I'm a Mets fan, but after a long day of work and the trains are filled to the brim, it can be an awful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. couldn't have described the D train better myself, although the foul odors are a challenge when trying to beat a hangover on the way to work...

    ReplyDelete