Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Best Kept Secrets in Belmont Dining

After living in the Bronx for almost four years I have found my favorite dishes at almost all of the local Bronx eating establishments. While many of my favorites are pretty standard and loved by all (Simon’s salads yum), I think I have also found some dishes and snacks that are a bit “off the beaten path.” Below I have laid out the Belmont Community’s Best Kept Dining Secrets.

Simon’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
I’ve always been a bit weary to try one of the chocolate chip cookies that are often displayed by the register at Simon’s. Maybe it’s because Simon’s was busted for health code violations my freshman year and I usually try to steer clear of anything that requires too much preparation, or maybe it’s because I’ve never seen anyone else order one so I figured they were the same cookies sitting on the tray visit after visit. Whatever the reason, one day I bucked it up and ordered a cookie. Fresh, gooey, chocolate-y and cooked to perfection, this cookie was fantastic and I regret not trying one sooner.

Munchiez Mac and Cheese Bites
Even though they specialize in massive sandwiches containing enough food for a week, Munchiez’s Mac and Cheese Bites are definitely the way to go. Essentially fried macaroni and cheese, I cannot get enough of these bite-sized balls of perfection. Even better, they are served with a side of ranch, which sounds weird but compliments the fried cheesiness perfectly.

Webster’s Nachos Supreme
Many people may be surprised to find a diner specializing in Mexican fare, but in the Bronx, anything is possible especially when it comes to food.  Smothered in at least three types of cheese, red AND black beans and topped with a ton of fresh and slightly spicy delicious guacamole, plus tons of onions, peppers and tomatoes, Webster’s nachos are perfect for a late night snack or even a midday meal. Even better, Webster’s is almost always open and willing to deliver.

Gian Tina’s Gnocchi
Even after living in the Bronx for four years, it is difficult to try every single Italian restaurant on Arthur Avenue. Technically on 187th Street off of Arthur Avenue, Gian Tina’s is one of the Bronx’s best kept secrets for Italian dining. While almost all of the restaurants on Arthur serve delicious gnocchi, Gian Tinas Gnocchi Alla Jerry is by far the best I have ever tasted. Cooked to perfection and covered in some sort of mysterious cheesy yet tomato-y sauce, this is the dish I dreamed about and longed for when I was abroad in Ireland last year.

Of course there are plenty more delicious secrets hiding in the Bronx but these are my personal favorites. Even with only a few months left in the Bronx, I'm sure there will be more to come.

2 comments:

  1. Great list. I also recommend the delicious butternut squash pizza from Zero Otto Nove, my favorite restaurant on Arthur Avenue. And have you tried the burek from Tony and Tina's Pizza?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i took your suggestion and got mac n cheese bites from Munchiez! They were bomb!

    ReplyDelete