Tuesday, February 8, 2011

St. Patrick's Day in February

I enjoy Fordham’s tri-bar area as much as the next person but after almost four years my friends and I were eager to find something new. We had heard good things about Woodlawn and finally decided to try it out. Woodlawn is a neighborhood in the northern part of the Bronx known for its Irish population. After studying in Ireland last year and frequenting our fair share of Irish pubs, my friends and I were eager to check it out. We got a few recommendations from friends who live in the area and were on our way. 

We went to Rambling House and Rory Dolan’s. With Magner’s Cider on tap and Irish bartenders behind the bar it was a pretty authentic experience! I have to admit that I was not expecting Woodlawn to be as authentic as it was, but I found myself thinking I was back in Dublin. I had no idea that there was such a lively Irish population just minutes away from my front door and I had almost forgotten how much fun Irish people can be after a Guinness or two. My friends and I had a great time reminiscing about Ireland, pretending we were back in Dublin and making new friends and then hopped in a gypsy cab and were back in our neighborhood in fifteen minutes. 

Woodlawn was so different from the Belmont area that I am used to that it is hard to believe it’s only a few miles away. It's a great alternative for people bored with the Fordham bar scene but not in the mood to trek all the way to Manhattan. Plus, it's a great way to see a new part of the Bronx! 

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite memories of Rory Dolan's was the night the Yankees won the 1996 World Series. Unforgettable! Complete strangers were buying rounds of drinks for each other, jublilation in the bar and out in the street.

    ReplyDelete