Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Best of the Bronx

Best Laundromat
Doing laundry is every college student’s least favorite chore. Fortunately, Arthur Avenue Clean House washes and folds my laundry to perfection so I don’t need to worry about turning my whites pink. There is nothing more satisfying than dropping my massive laundry bag off in the morning and picking up the same bag filled with freshly smelling and perfectly folded laundry the next night. The staff is super friendly and you can’t beat the price at 85 cents a pound. Best of all, Fordham students receive a 10% discount if they pay when they drop off their laundry.

Best Bodega
With bodegas on every corner in the Bronx, it seems as though everyone has a favorite. My favorite is Castillo on Arthur and 189th. While it is not as “high-end” as the bodegas that serve sandwiches and it isn’t open 24 hours, Castillo never disappoints.  Always fully stocked with the best Ben and Jerry’s flavors and some surprisingly exotic beers, Castillo answers all of my late-night grocery needs. Another perk is the fact that the ATM distributes $10 bills, something I never knew I wanted until I realized how convenient it is.

Best Shopping
Fordham Road has long been regarded as the best shopping area in the Bronx. Shopping on Fordham Road is part marathon, part circus and part party. From metallic gold shorts to designer-esque over the knee boots and costume jewelry, anything a person could ever want can be found for unbeatable prices on Fordham Road. The street vendors also offer one of a kind merchandise like unique jewelry, scarves and I heart BX shirts in rainbow shades. With music blasting, cars honking, street food sizzling and people crowding the sidewalks, shopping on Fordham Road is definitely an experience.

Best Restaurant
With so much great Italian food on Arthur Avenue, it’s easy to forget that there are a ton of other delicious restaurants in the area.  Estrellita Poblano III serves hands down the most delicious Mexican food I’ve ever tasted. My friends and I always start our meal with a big bowl of EP3’s fresh, slightly spicy guacamole. After that there are tons of authentic dishes to indulge in. I try to order something new every time I go, but sometimes find myself reverting back to the delicious cheese quesadillas served with rice and beans. Perhaps the best part of EP3 (besides the guac, of course) is their $2 Corona deal for Fordham students.

1 comment:

  1. Best line ever written is in your description of shopping on Fordham Road: "part marathon, part circus and part party." Truer words were never written! Great list.

    ReplyDelete