Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Bronx is Blooming


Okay so maybe it is pretty miserable out today and the last thing you are thinking about is the blooming Bronx, but I’ve been waiting to use this title for awhile now and the Bronx is blooming, even if it is being overshadowed by the creepy fog and gross mist.  I just have to express my appreciation for the budding trees and hint of spring in the air. After a tough winter we could all use a little reminding that spring is just around the corner. 

Most people would not cite the Bronx as the best place to enjoy springtime and good weather, but these people are missing out. In honor of anticipated good weather, here are my top 3 recommendations for enjoying spring in the BX.

The Bronx Zoo

I’ve never had a pet, act awkward around most dogs and am horribly allergic to cats but the Bronx Zoo is definitely one of my favorite places to spend a beautiful afternoon. It always amazes me that exotic animals like flamingos, gorillas and mountain lions are my neighbors! My preferred animal is the polar bear because I think it’s pretty crazy that a polar bear lives in the Bronx. Also a must-see is the recently lost and then found Bronx Zoo cobra, definitely the zoo’s biggest celebrity at the moment. Probably the best part about the zoo, other then the fact that it’s within walking distance from my front door, is free-admission Wednesdays! 

Botanical Gardens

I’m not a runner, but if I were a runner I would run through the Botanical Gardens every day. A massive beautiful garden in the middle of the Bronx is almost as unbelievable as a zoo in the middle of the Bronx, but you better believe it because it’s definitely the most impressive garden I’ve ever seen. With constantly changing special exhibits (even in the winter) and secluded spots to sit and reflect, the Botanical Garden is the perfect place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the Bronx.

Edward’s Parade

It’s not an exaggeration, Eddie’s might be my favorite place in the world. It seems simple, a large green area surrounded by a fence, but somehow Eddie’s is so much more. Even when I am no longer a Fordham student or Bronx resident, I will long for Eddie’s every perfect day of spring. Ideal for photo-ops (Keating always looks so majestic in the background!) and consuming refreshing spring beverages, Eddie’s is my top pick for enjoying the spring in the BX. I could go on and on but I will save that for a later post. Until then, I’ll see you on Eddie’s even if we’re all still wearing raincoats. The real spring will be here soon enough.

1 comment: