Thursday, April 21, 2011

Fordham Plaza Goodies

 My roommate and fellow blogger is a huge fan of the Fordham Plaza flea market. Check out her post below. For great photos of the Bronx and even more excellent commentary check out her blog Bronx Eye


One of my favorite things about the larger Belmont community in the Bronx is
the ability to get pretty much whatever you want at the cheapest price possible.
While Arthur Avenue sports crazy high prices for most foodstuffs and knickknacks,
Fordham Plaza has the best deals around town. If its a nice day out and I have some
time to spare on my way to up to the 4 train, I love to poke through the Fordham
Plaza market; there is usually something I need there as well as a million other
things I definitely do not. Whether its 20 platanos for a dollar, two mangos for a
dollar, or six pairs of socks for a dollar, I can always find a good deal.
My favorite stands are located in the middle of the plaza and usually sell
costume jewelry, fake designer bags, or hilarious t-shirts. I, for one, will never shy
away from endless cheap jewelry stands where I can use my perfected Central
American haggling skills to talk a woman down 50 cents for a mood ring. The
Fordham Plaza market reminds me a lot of St. Mark's square because of the bustling
people, the cheap goods, and the wonderful feeling you get when you think you've
found a true gem amongst the pile of worthless nonsense. What's the best part
about the Fordham Plaza market? Its about 15 miles closer and a lot cheaper than
any other market NYC has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment