Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Fordham Area Antique and Second Hand Stores

My friend Elspeth found some great antique and second hand stores right in the Fordham area! Check out her post below. For mouth-watering food reviews and recipes check out her blog, To Stay or Go?

One day I was roaming around our little Belmont area and taking notes for a design project when I stumbled across two interesting little antiques stores: Big Apple Furniture and Antiques, and Diaz Second Hand Antiques.



Big Apple, off Third Ave. on 188th looked at first glance to be full of a bunch of junk, however I actually ended up seeing a few interesting things. I picked up a red and orange cast iron (I think) pot and lid that can go in the oven for $5. There was a bunch of women's clothes but it was all shoved in a space behind furniture that was inaccessible. The guy said he gets new stuff in often, so I think it could be a good little spot to check back once in a while.



Diaz Second Hand on 187th was mostly, if not all, furniture. I asked for kitchen stuff but they didn't have anything. It was a maze of tables, dressers, and chairs and had a really creepy cat. I didn't get anything there, but there was a ton of bed frames outside on the sidewalk, and it could be a good place to get furniture if you're moving to an off campus apartment nearby.

I was surprised to find these little stores in our neighborhood! I think there are a lot of little things around here that it is easy to be unaware of, but I like the idea of supporting little Bronx businesses for the time that we are here. It's too bad I only discovered these places in the end of my senior year!

No comments:

Post a Comment